The heat was on for Friday’s FP1 & FP2 at the Hungaroring, as temperatures reached 55°C in the afternoon, proving difficult for drivers, engineers and rest of attendees alike.
Force India’s Sergio Perez headlined the morning’s FP1, though not as fastest driver but after a big crash that saw his car rollover after going into the barriers at Turn 11. "Unfortunately we had the failure on the rear suspension, which ended our day early, it was just a bad accident, really unlucky" reflected Perez. He is optimistic for the weekend though.
So who finished first in both practices? Championship leader Lewis Hamilton, ahead of team-mate Nico Rosberg in the morning, and ahead of Red Bull’s Daniil Kvyat in FP2. Meanwhile, Kvyat’s team-mate Daniel Ricciardo saw his car’s engine blow up with 20 minutes to go.
Hamilton said after both sessions "it was really good fun out there," and that he’s starting to think this might just be his favorite track with the set of corners and undulations. He also added "it’s incredibly hot - like driving in a sauna!"
Warm temperatures aside, Friday practice’s served for teams and fans to remember Jules Bianchi, with stickers, paint job’s, flags and more. 'Ciao Jules', '#JB17' were commonly featured, and Ferrari even added 'JULES nei nostri cuori' (Jules always in our hearts) in their cars.
FP1 Top 5 Times:
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:25.141
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:25.250
3. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:25.812
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:26.053
5. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1:26.070
FP2 Top 5 Times:
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:23.949
2. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1:24.300
3. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:24.451
4. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:24.668
5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:25.134