Daniil Kvyat led the way in another rain-hit session, and was 0.023s faster than the Silver Arrows, with Nico Rosberg ahead of Lewis Hamilton.
The current world champion had some words on the action under rainy conditions: "You don't want to take too many risks today, damaging the car, damaging the gearbox or anything like that. Today we were just practicing starts and getting a couple of laps in, but there wasn't really an awful lot to learn."
Daniel Ricciardo in the second Red Bull finished fourth, ahead of both Ferrari’s, both Toro Rosso’s, Felipe Nasr and Pastor Maldonado.
Heavy rain hit the track during the session, and saw most teams go out in full wet tyres, though it was limited running in general during Friday. It’s expected to be dry for the rest of the weekend.
For McLaren, Fernando Alonso missed most of the session after an engine chance; he did however return with the rest of the field later on. All drivers - except for Williams’ Valtteri Bottas - did set up a time during the afternoon. Bottas explained later he wanted to save tyres.
1. D Kvyat, Red Bull, 1:48.277
2. N Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:48.300
3. L Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:48.853
4. D Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:49.097
5. S Vettel, Ferrari, 1:50.268
6. K Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:50.319
7. C Sainz, Toro Rosso, 1:50.418
8. M Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1:50.542
9. F Nasr, Sauber, 1:50.968
10. P Maldonado, Lotus, 1:51.557